The Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative Program (CITI) is the premier online training program offered by the University of Miami. It provides curricula for human subjects research, animal research, responsible research conduct, and provides guidance for adhering to research practices and standards.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to take CITI training?
The training requirement applies to anyone conducting human subjects and animal research activities at The George Washington University. Anyone working directly with human participants, animals, or with identifiable data or biological specimens for research purposes under which The George Washington University supports. CITI Certification will need to be obtained by investigators, research nurses, coordinators, students, technicians working with identifiable data, and faculty advisors.
New User Enrollment
To enroll in a course for the first time:
Click “I don't have a CITI Program account and I need to create one.” Expand the tab “George Washington University Courses.”
Use your MFA GWU email address email@example.com or your GWorld email address firstname.lastname@example.org for the institutional email in the CITI Program Profile. You can verify this by going to "My Profiles" in CITI.
- Click “Add a Course.”
- Select the training required by or most appropriate to your research activities.
- Click “Submit.”
- Which CITI course do I have to take?
The George Washington University requires researchers to take the following courses:
- Biomedical Investigators, expires every 2 years
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP), expires every 3 years
- Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPS), never expires
**The Refresher Course should only be taken if you have completed the Basic Course and it has expired**
- How long does it take to complete the CITI course?
The CITI program is designed so that you can easily exit and re-enter modules at your convenience. The estimated time for completion is anywhere from two to four hours and most modules have a quiz associated with that module’s learnings. It is not recommended that you try to take the CITI course in one sitting.
- I took CITI training at another institution. Will my certification transfer?
Returning users may simply log in to the CITI website and affiliate with George Washington University to assess if the training completed is equivalent with the required University training. Some users may have to take additional modules.
To affiliate with George Washington University after login to CITI:
- From your main menu click on the link “affiliate with another institution.”
- Choose George Washington University from the appropriate drop-down menu.
- Answer the member information questions required by your newly affiliated institution.
- Enroll in the course(s) required by your newly affiliated institution.
- How do I print a completion report/certificate?
After completing a course, your learner menu will display an option for “print” under status for the course. If you do not see the course on your Main Menu, click on the link called “previous coursework completed” to access older course completion reports.